Does the weekend make it hard for you to stick with your healthy habits? 7 tips for a healthier weekend
Snack time can be dangerous.
You’re hungry, short on time, and vulnerable to unhealthy, processed food. The next time you’re tempted to reach for chips or cookies, try one of these healthy alternatives instead!
1. Ham-wrapped celery sticks. Dip in whole-grain mustard for extra flavor.
2. Bell peppers and guacamole. Look for snack size portions of guacamole.
3. Hard-boiled eggs. Portable, healthy, simple.
4. Beef jerky. Be sure to read the label and make sure the jerky doesn’t have any added sugar, and try to find jerky made from quality, grass-fed beef.
5. Blueberries with unsweetened, whole milk Greek yogurt.
6. Tuna mixed with avocado and whole-grain mustard. Put it on top of a rice cracker, whole grain bread, or eat on its own.
7. Remember ants on a log? This childhood classic of peanut butter (or any nut butter) on celery topped with raisins is actually a healthy snack!
8. Hummus and carrot sticks.
9. Mixed nuts. Be careful of your serving size -- about a handful is a perfect amount for a snack.
10. Roasted chickpeas. Prepare these ahead of time. Mix ¾ cup of chickpeas with 1 tablespoon each olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Roast at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.
What’s your favorite on-the-go healthy snack? Tell us what we missed!